Support for pkgconfig

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Tue Apr 15 22:30:40 CDT 2003

On April 15, 2003 07:16 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Well I see absolutely no point to the whole exercise, but I'm clearly
> not going to convince you. Feel free to try to persuade the Unix world
> to insert a bloated Win32 layer under all their toolkits; I don't
> think you will get very far with that idea...

Hey, "absolutely no point" is a bit strong :) But don't get upset, I was
more brainstorming than anything else. I don't have time to sleep now,
let alone start such a project. ;)

But we've lost track were we started from. I was advocating to make Wine
easier to use as a library, and not encourage people to copy & paste code.
There are a few cases where that may work: mplayer, *maybe* Gimp. But even
in those cases it seems the plugins pull way to much of the API with them
to have a snowball chance in hell to get something decent. Linking with
Wine should give a decent result. Right now that's not the case, but it
seems some simple improvements we plan to do anyway (the configuration
work, lazy initialization, etc.) will greatly help in that regard.

So my end goal for this debate is to understand better what steps we need
to take toward a EzWinelib (TM). And none of the problems listed seem
all that hard, let alone insurmountable.

--
Dimi.