winedbg improvement - display

Pouech Eric DMI AEI CAEN pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr
Wed Apr 16 14:18:04 CDT 2003

> Objet : winedbg improvement - display
> I've just hacked winedbg 'display' handling. It now allows for temporary
> disabling of displays and restricting them to one function. Look for
> yourselves, comments welcome. :)
since I'm away from home on a poor remote connection, I couldn't spend much time on this

from a first look, enable/disable facility is fine

but, here are, at least, two remarks :
- first, I don't think we should have two ways of expressing the same thing (like disable display 1 and display disable 1). IMO, we should stick the former form (as we currently do) (I agree that current undisplay 1 and delete display 1 are may be a bit overkill too)
- secondly, and most important, I don't like storing the frame context in the display information. I don't see how you're going to ensure that we got a correct context for evaluating an expression. Keeping the local frame name isn't even sufficient when calling the same function recursively. What I'm afraid of here is the user's perception of this specific context for evaluation. I know gdb has some of those tricks (i.e. that no one, except the one who wrote the code, is going to understand what context is going to be used for evaluating the expression). I really wonder what gdb does here.

A+