remove server silliniess

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Thu Apr 17 02:48:35 CDT 2003

On Thursday 17 April 2003 02:13 am, Fabian Cenedese wrote:
> >> remove run-time checks of compile-time constants.
> >
> >I dearly wish that there were a way of doing compile-time assertion, but
> > there isn't, so it has to be done by a runtime assertion.
>
> Well, there seem to be some reasonable tricks for that:
> http://www.jaggersoft.com/pubs/CVu11_3.html
> http://www.panelsoft.com/murphyslaw/apr01.htm
>
> This is for C++ but maybe also adaptable for C:
> http://www.boost.org/libs/static_assert/static_assert.htm
>
> bye  Fabi

ah, the hidden powers of the preprocessor -- how it drives us to obsfucation
with it's robotic stupidity...  I wonder, is cpp a turing machine?  Makes me
want to implement vim as a sed script ;)

nonetheless, considering one must sometimes make do with what one has, that
array-of-zero trick is super-clever... perhaps I'll actually make a
constructive patch out of this debacle yet..

--
gmt

"Democracy is the theory that holds that the common people know
what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." HL Mencken