named pipes again

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Apr 17 12:25:50 CDT 2003

Mike McCormack wrote:
> I'll get back to the named pipes patch after the release of Crossover
> Office 2.0.

I'm looking forward to both!

> I'm a little worried that we won't be able to get unix pipes to do all
> the things that Windows pipes can do, but if I want my patch in... :)

I'm working a patch that uses Unix pipes
and solves both the "client does CreateFile before server
does ConnectNamedPipe" and "FlushFileBuffers on server
doesn't prevent loss of data" bugs.  My approach is to
pass the client end fd from pipe server to pipe client at open time if the
pipe server got there first (to fix the first bug), and
pass the *server* end fd from server to client at disconnect time
(to fix the second bug).  This means that no bytes will be
lost when the server does DisconnectNamedPipe, but I bet that
won't bother anybody.

Since I'm such a newbie at wineserver, this might not come to
anything, but I'm happily debugging the patch now.  If I'm
lucky, I'll get it working before Mike gets back to his patch :-)
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com