[dx8-5] Windows never reports 24 bit screen depths

Ann and Jason Edmeades us at the-edmeades.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 19 16:36:46 CDT 2003

(Apologies for the duplicate sent - Didnt put a subject on first time)

>> Windows never reports 24 bit colours, and some games fail to work unless
in
>> specific modes. Report 16bit colour for 24bit modes

>Out of curiosity, in that case, why report 24 bits at all ? Why not just
>report 8, 16 and 32 ?

I dont - I query it with GetDeviceCaps and this is what gets returned.
        hdc = CreateDCA("DISPLAY", NULL, NULL, NULL);
        bpp = GetDeviceCaps(hdc, BITSPIXEL);
        DeleteDC(hdc);

Actually, all the screen handling in the dx8 code is awful (I can say that
as I put it there...).

I am hoping that if the recent changes to the window modes is implemented, I
can use that code to query what modes this device supports, and to change
the mode/resolution appropriately. The code that we have is a semi working
stopgap really.

Jason