[dx8-5] Windows never reports 24 bit screen depths

Ann and Jason Edmeades us at the-edmeades.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 19 17:11:35 CDT 2003

>> I dont - I query it with GetDeviceCaps and this is what gets returned.
>>         hdc = CreateDCA("DISPLAY", NULL, NULL, NULL);
>>         bpp = GetDeviceCaps(hdc, BITSPIXEL);
>>         DeleteDC(hdc);
>>
>Well, this is related to the other thread about the resolution change
>patch... Wine should NOT return '24' here but '32'.
>In Windows, '24' here means really 24/24 mode (which is not 3D accelerated
>on any hardware I know).
>
>So a better 'hack' would be to have 24 equivalent to 32.

Sure, I can do that - I originally did, in fact, but decided to go for 16
bit since it felt more 'right' following the logic that you could run 16bit
colour on a 24bit display, but not 32 bit colour on a 24 bit display.

If you feel strongly about it, I'll resubmit making it a 32 mode, otherwise
I hope to get the modes more 'properly' implemented later on if I can ever
work out how to get it right!

Jason