rpc exception

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Tue Apr 22 12:15:27 CDT 2003

On 22 Apr 2003, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> Unix compiler is ever going to work right anyway. There are a number
> of advantages to being portable, there would also be a number of
> different advantages to being gcc-specific, but being somewhere in
> between is not worth the trouble IMO.

Well, I certainly agree that there are advantages from being portable.
That's why I have this sort of portability listed on the Fun page.
But I also argue that it should not be detrimental to new features.
Supporting Unix compilers other than gcc is a very, very niche thing.
Let's not delay important and very useful features for such esoteric
benefits. Once we have the code in and tested, it is so much easier
to work around whatever limitations you have, if the will to do so
it's there.

If this means that we'll be gcc-specific (on Unix, at least), I say
let's go ahead and be gcc-specific on Unix. We have already too many
things to worry about, any help is welcomed. Linux went this way, and
it seems to be working fine. I'm sure that at the end of the day
everybody will be much happier with a featureful Wine that compiles
only on gcc, rather than a crippled but super compiler-portable Wine.

--
Dimi.