rpc exception

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Tue Apr 22 23:17:24 CDT 2003

On Monday 21 April 2003 10:55 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> "Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:
> needed. I don't think any other C compiler supports local functions
> (even g++ doesn't AFAIK), so there won't be much hope of ever making
> it work.

gosh, that sucks.

> Of course we could decide to stop supporting other compilers,
> but I don't think everybody would be happy with that.

me neither.  I guess this is kind of crazy, since they still aren't portable,
but my goal in writing that code was to violate only one rule: no nested
functions.  of course, when I eventually used __label__ and "auto" I think I
broke even those rules, making it totally gcc specific.

also,

Perhaps you will all emit a collective groan (or simply pity me for my
inability to learn from history), but given __LINE__,  and the usual
macro-mashing-together tricks, I see no reason to assume that there is
insufficient expressive power to achieve the proper semantics...  I suspect a
failure of imagination on my part.  I'd like to take another look at this
with a mind to reimplement all flow-of-control using goto instead of loops
and nested functions.

I would hate to see wine scrap such a long-standing tradition as code
portability just on account of some exception handling macros that are
grossly inefficient wrappers anyhow...

> > Also, not accepting code into Wine that depend on exception is one thing,
> > but what about Winelib? We can have the exception code commented out if
> > __WINESRC__ is defined, but at least lets get it in if it works, it will
> > plug a big Winelib hole.
>
> Sure, we can make the macros available for Winelib.

I hate to be the weak link in the chain here... But I'd at least like to take
this to the drawing board once more before I throw in the towel.  I have some
time on Thursday, so I will get back to the list on Friday with either a
patch or a white flag.

--
gmt

"Democracy is the theory that holds that the common people know
what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." HL Mencken