Wine, WIDE & Unix (was: Support for pkgconfig)

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com
Tue Apr 29 05:07:15 CDT 2003

> Well, I can't see why Trolltech (the owners of Qt) would object.
>
> Presumably the main reason that you would want a Qt skin for
> Windows application running under Wine is that you run several
> other Unix applications using Qt...
>
> So I can't see why they wouldn't give us special permission
> if we for some reason would need it...

I'm not sure it's quite that simple though. IIRC Qt/KDE themes use the
Qt drawing primitives (like gtk skins do with gdk). Unfortunately,
Qt/Win32 is not free software, so we'd have to stub out Qt with Win32
equivalents in order to allow Qt skins to draw correctly. As GDK is
already ported to Win32 though, that'd be easier to use.

I'm sure if somebody was motivated enough they could do so, and we may
need to stub out Qt anyway for KHTML at some point. But it's a lot of
work.

--
Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com>
QinetiQ - Malvern Technology Center