Wine, WIDE & Unix (was: Support for pkgconfig)

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com
Tue Apr 29 08:35:40 CDT 2003

> Ah OK. Minor problem. :-(
>
> Why can't they make Qt/Win32 GPL:ed as well with the exception of the
> drawing primitives that have to become LGPL:ed.
>
> They released Qt/X11 under the GPL, since the GPL according to their
> interpretation will protect them from "free commercial use".
>
> Why not release Qt/Win32 under the GPL as well?

Not sure, might be worth asking, but I expect it's because they believe
they would lose a lot of customers writing internal corporate software
for Win32 - if the software is for internal use only, you could just
make it GPLd and not pay TT anything. Restricting the free version to a
display protocol not well supported on Win32 allows them to make more
money.

--
Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com>
QinetiQ - Malvern Technology Center