Wine, WIDE & Unix (was: Support for pkgconfig)

Steven Edwards Steven_Ed4153 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 15:14:00 CDT 2003

Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

>There's some confusion. I thought you guys are working on doing an
>Explorer-the-file-browser clone, not an IE clone. Yes, we already
>have khtml and gecko, it would be crazy/silly to start yet another
>one.

We are doing work on a explorer clone. I thought you had jumped to
discussing the WebBrowser interface. The guy that wrote our bootloader
and task-manager is supposed to be working on our explorer clone. At
some point the explorer clone is going to have to interface with a
web-browser. In any case I want to see this OLE to GTK or bonobo
integration support you are talking about. The more these applications
can get along the better chance we have of moving people off of Windows
on to Linux, ReactOS or anything else that comes along and does GNU.
There are a 2 things I think WINE needs now before we will see a good WIDE.

1. Implement Xdnd to OLE support. Corel did some work on this but it
never made it in to the main winehq tree. This would really help anyone
porting a Windows application to Linux seeing as how everything on
Windows uses OLE and KDE and GNOME both support Xdnd now. I thinking if
it is done right then you could even have it both ways and build it as a
dll under Mingw and use it with either kde-cygwin/gnome-cygwin or libw11
ported applications. (If anyone has a snapshot of the corel-wine CVS I
would like to look at this)

2. Cleanup Ole*. Everything depends on OLE and it either doesn’t
implement everything or calls way to many non-standard APIs. Now that
codeweavers has started to fix the need for M$ dlls in crossover maybe
it will get fixed. We cannot make much use of most of the WINE code
until we can build working ole32 support. There are way to many
win16isms, and 9xisms.