Callbacks while app is looping

Mark Westcott mark at houseoffish.org
Wed Apr 30 16:19:28 CDT 2003

Hi all,
I've been working on fixing the crash in 'Gens' when trying to reassign keys.

The app basically does a:

while (1)
{
 IDIRECTINPUTINTERFACE::GetDeviceState();
}

Until it notices a key has been pressed.  DirectInput hooks onto system
keyboard events with SetWindowsHookEx(WH_KEYBOARD_LL........), but while the
app is doing its nasty while(1) loop, DirectInput's callback procedure never
gets called.

This is as far as I can get  (new to wine) - any ideas anyone? I threw a test
case app that illustrates the problem

(btw, the WH_KEYBOARD_LL hook has the note 'should use SendMessage instead',
but I don't get what this means or know if using SendMessage instead would
have anything to do with fixing this problem)

--------
Mark Westcott