[[email protected]: .msi files]

Robert Shearman R.J.Shearman at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 16:52:03 CDT 2003

> Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:03:01 +0100
> From: Antony Gelberg <antony at antgel.co.uk>
> To: wine-devel at winehq.com
> Subject: [antony at antgel.co.uk: .msi files]
>
> Does Windows Installer work?

Yes, I have installed MSN Messenger using it.

> I've tried installing bout the 98 and 2K versions under wine, but only
> get:
>
> cdrom $ /usr/local/bin/wine ./instmsiw.exe
> fixme:win32:PE_CreateModule Security directory ignored
> fixme:process:CreateProcessA (X:\IXP000.TMP\msiinst.exe,...):
> NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS ignored

This is your problem. Only the Win9x version of MSI works at the moment and
only if your version is set to Win9x in your config file. I submitted a few
patches a while ago to get the WinNT version a bit further but it needs a
load of security functions which aren't implemented (properly) yet. There
was talk a while ago about reimplementing MSI in Wine, but we rejected the
idea on the grounds that it was undocumented, very complicated and not
needed yet.

> On another note, I'm really surprised that the wine-users list is so
> quiet as it's such an important bit of software.

I apologise for this. We do have a few developers that regularly post there
(including me on occasions), it just seems you caught us at a busy moment.

Rob