Using Wine for Production Build Processes

Bob Dixon Bob.Dixon at sas.com
Wed Aug 6 15:11:28 CDT 2003

  We currently support production build processes using both FreeBSD and Windows 2000 and we're interested in consolidating our builds on FreeBSD systems as much as possible.  Our Windows builds currently run Visual Studio 6.0, 7.0, and 7.1 on Windows 2000 compute servers.  There's an ongoing discussion about whether Wine is appropriate for trying to run these Windows builds.  Rather than guessing or hacking around with this, I'd like to ask the experts.  We're currently using some in-house tools that drive Visual Studio using a COM interface, vs using command-line compilers and nmake.

  Does it make sense to try to run these builds using Wine?

  Thanks!

Bob Dixon