wrong keyboard layout

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Wed Aug 13 10:34:19 CDT 2003

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>"Phil Krylov" <phil at newstar.rinet.ru> wrote:
>

>>XFree86 -version reports:
>>
>>XFree86 Version 4.3.0
>>Release Date: 27 February 2003
>>X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
>>Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.22_pre2-gss i686 [ELF]
>>Build Date: 23 July 2003
>>
>>The log you asked for is attached. It's rather big, so I truncated it
>>after ToUnicode entries.
>>

>Here is your problem:
>
>trace:x11drv:x11drv_init_thread_data Using C locale of Input Method
>
>XFree86 uses C locale, not UTF-8 one. As I wrote previously, test with
>'xev' first. As soon as it starts to work, Wine should work as well.

I have asked you this before in private, but I fear I didn't really
understand the answer. When I ran with an "incorrect" locale setting
(en_US.utf8 instead of en_US.UTF-8), konsole would display Hebrew
characters using the UTF-8 encoding. Furthermore, running OpenOffice,
kedit or Mozilla would also work properly. It appears as if wine and xev
are the only two applications in the world that would refuse to work
with those slightly incorrect locales.

Can you please explain again how the other applications do this miracle?

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant