export variables in dlls

Martin Wilck Martin.Wilck at Fujitsu-Siemens.com
Mon Aug 18 04:12:32 CDT 2003

Am Fre, 2003-08-08 um 14.32 schrieb Dimitrie O. Paun:

> Yes, this is good advice for the forseable future. Without compiler
> support, we can't do much about the dllimport/dllexport bit.

This means that, with the introduction of .def files in wine, porting
software (especially C++) with winelib has become considerably more
troublesome than before. Whatever we think about dllexport, it is widely
used by Windows programmers.

binutils with PE support can be used to extract a .def file with all
symbols from an object file right now. Unfortunately, binutils on most
standard Linux distributions do not support PE. But it may be acceptable
to demand that winelib developers recompile their binutils.

Btw Dimi, is their any specific reason why winewrap/winegcc are written
in C rather than in some scripting language like bash or perl? I'd think
that winewrap/winegcc scripts would be much easier to maintain and
customize than the current C code, and would actually be the adequate
tool for the job.

Martin

--
Martin Wilck                Phone: +49 5251 8 15113
Fujitsu Siemens Computers   Fax:   +49 5251 8 20409