When will Wine integrate an x86 CPU emulator?

Kelly Leahy kellyleahy at swbell.net
Wed Aug 20 17:08:12 CDT 2003

Ok.  I can agree with that.  I'm not sure that "emulator" is the best term
for this, but it'll have to do unless someone has an alternative.

I don't think this would be as hard as it sounds, if the .spec files could
be used to describe all of the parameters and calls to the API functions.
The "emulator" (probably better termed an interpreter) would need to
intercept all CALL instructions and JMP instructions and have some way of
knowing the difference between native and x86 code (for the purpose of
determining where the CALLs are going to).

A better way to do this would be to write an emulator that is invoked by
wine when a binary is targeted to x86 and is loaded for running on a non-x86
machine.  The emulator could, when resolving dynamic links to the dlls,
provide an x86 implementation of the function that merely packages the
parameters up for calling to the native "real" implementation of the
function.

It would even be possible to write a "proxy" wine-x86 for running under an
emulator that implements the really simple stuff (that would be slow to
implement natively, due to cross-CPU (emulator vs. native) issues) in x86
code, but makes native calls for more complicated stuff using some
non-CPU-specific method (like RPC, sockets, etc.) that is supported by both
the emulator and the host system.

Kelly