When will Wine integrate an x86 CPU emulator?

Jim White jim at pagesmiths.com
Wed Aug 20 23:24:52 CDT 2003

Kelly Leahy wrote:
> Not sure I agree with paragraph two of the answer...

I don't care for the answer much myself.  Certainly "never" is not
reasonable as Wine for non-x86 systems is desireable and eventually
enough effort will be expended to get the job done.  Now the time frame
might be rather long, and for many folks the answer to "When will Wine
be finished?" is effectively "never" because it is more than a year and
the integrated emulation business is well beyond that.

It would be nice to mention Darwine in connection with these
Wine-for-other-systems FAQs as progress has been demonstrated with
Winelib for Mac OS X and the stated goal is an eventual integrated x86
emulator.

http://darwine.sourceforge.net/

That said, I do agree that before the integrated solution appears we
will see Wine running on emulated X86/Linux.  I'm particularly
interested in seeing Linux on Darwin's Mach kernel which should benefit
from the prior work of MkLinux.

Jim
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams