Viruses in the wine-devel archive ??

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Fri Aug 22 14:28:26 CDT 2003

P. Christeas wrote:

>Marcus Meissner wrote:

>>>Btw. Does SoBig.F run under wine? If yes, how bad can it get?
>>>

>>It crashes for me.
>>
>>Ciao, Marcus
>>

>OK, we 'll fix wine .. ;)
>
>On the serious side: wine could actually be the perfect platform for security
>tests. Having a virus spread on a pseydo-system is noteworthy..

We've been through this discussion before too. Wine is not a VM, and the
isolation between Win32 and Unix code is the result of application's
ignorance, rather than a deliberate design decision. As such, it is
highly NOT recommended for cases where hostile code of unknown qualities
is tested.

For all you know, sobig may be checking whether it is runnning on wine,
and then issuing the correct interrupts (static linking dlopen) and
infecting your Unix system.

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh