When will Wine integrate an x86 CPU emulator?

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.org
Fri Aug 22 14:27:23 CDT 2003

Jim,

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:41:42 +1000, Jim White wrote:

> Francois Gouget wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Ulrich Weigand wrote: [...]
>>
>>>The only reason for wanting to integrate an emulator into Wine is that
>>>this would allow to run the Wine components natively, and only switch
>>>to the emulator for executing Windows binaries.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Not only it would be extremely complex but I am not even sure it would
>> be more efficient.
>> How does that apply to the emulator case? Well, let's take InflateRect:
>
> I don't understand why you put effort into shooting down strawmen.  If
> you are not interested in a version of Wine incorporating an x86
> emulator then that's just dandy.
>
> The point of integrating the x86 emulation is not necessarily to get
> into the interface between Wine and the Windows applications.  The point
> is to avoid a whole layer of OS emulation.

There is no layer of OS emulation if you use an x86 emulator. An example
of an x86 emulator is QEMU. You run "qemu wine <windows program>" and
that is it.

You seem to be thinking that an x86 system emulator (e.g. VMware,
VirtualPC, Bochs, etc.) is required. They aren't.

> Consider Mac OS X.  Using Wine for x86/Linux means running a second OS
> under emulation

No, it doesn't.

> And especially attractive from the x86 emulator's standpoint is the
> ability to identify read-only code resources with defined entry points
> that can be JIT compiled to native code rather than simply
> interpreting.

Which is exactly what QEMU does. QEMU already works on PowerPC hardware.
someone with access to port it to Mac OS X.

That someone could be you, and you'd have achieved what you want.

Anand