Building a wine(lib) based shared library to link with a Linux application

Boaz Harrosh boaz at hishome.net
Wed Aug 27 12:15:49 CDT 2003

could that mydll.so below dynamically pull the calling process to be a
winelib app with out the original app being involved?
Lets say that mydll imposes an Init(..) API. Than at that point wine is
pulled in. couldn't that be done? how does CodeWeavers do it in the
mozilla plug-ins than? mozilla being a linux app. Do they (mozilla) have
an Out of process concept of plug ins? (X embedded in the original app).
Couldn't one at that Init() call do the necessary registration with the
WineServer and all. Kind of like a later binding. Could some of the Wine
Loader code be hacked into a library?

Mybe the only solution than is a proxy-IPC-process pair. Process been
the winlib app.

I think the above subject is very important.
For example: I can easily use MS native DLLs to ODBC with MSSQL in a
winelib app. (yes it works!) I thought then why not write a unixODBC
wine driver that lets Unix apps enjoy what is available in wine. Hence
the above problem. (unixODBC driver been the shared library)