[resend] Allow use of MAP_TRYFIXED for better mmap()

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Thu Aug 28 14:18:36 CDT 2003

Todd Vierling <tv at pobox.com> writes:

> I definitely don't want to reproduce apt-to-change parts of the OS in an
> application just because it *might* be built on an earlier version of that
> OS.  If an app is built on the earlier OS version, the user should expect to
> be missing features.  Unix users accept this as a fact of life.

But like it or not, this is changing. Maybe not for NetBSD yet, but
there are many people at least on Linux who are not primarily Unix
users, and who want things to work without having to mess with
configure or upgrading system headers. This is doubly true for Wine,
since "real" Unix users don't need Windows apps, our primary audience
is Windows users who are used to downloading binaries that "just
work". And so we have a responsibility to make sure that it's the case
for them, even if it means departing from the One True Unix Way.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com