[winecfg 1.1] Implement saveConfigValue(), style changes, code cleanup, UI alignment

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Thu Aug 28 14:45:51 CDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 19:02, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Well, we need everything that normal users will want to use. But I
> don't think the priority should be on switching to winecfg as soon as
> possible; on the contrary we should take the time to review the
> config, and use that opportunity to clean things up before we make the
> switch. So for instance if some parameters are too obscure to justify
> implementing them in winecfg, we should ask whether we really need
> them in the config at all, or whether we could handle them somehow
> automatically.

That sounds almost GNOME like Alexandre :) There are indeed a lot of
massively obscure settings, "Perfect Graphics" would be one I'd vote for
dropping. I've read the code, and I still can't figure out *exactly*
what difference it'd make, especially to end user apps. There's no real
way to explain "uses optimized raster ops" to an end user in a
meaningful way.

Of course ideally Wine would not need any configuration at all. That
might be a good long term goal.

> Also we need to fix the code that uses config parameters to try to
> take into account dynamic changes as much as possible, so that you can
> make a change from winecfg and see it take effect at once, without
> having to restart your Wine session.

If we want to do that, it's worth deciding now, as it affects how
winecfg operates. At the moment changes to the GUI are moved to and fro
the structure in bulk, then the struct is saved to the registry, again
in bulk. That lets us do "OK/Cancel". If we want instant apply, that
complicates things.