[winecfg 1.1] Implement saveConfigValue(), style changes, code cleanup, UI alignment

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Aug 28 18:49:51 CDT 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
[...]
> Also once the config is in the registry it becomes inconvenient to
> modify by hand
[...]

That's one thing that bothers me with moving the configuration data to
the registry: in the registry you cannot put comments that document what
an option does. More precisely, comments are not preserved when
wineserver saves the registry so adding comments is an exercise in
futility.

The Unix way is to have text configuration files that are
self-documented. Not all projects are born equal on this point of
course, but look at squid.conf, smb.conf our even our own Wine
configuration file for instance.

The Windows way is to have obscure binary parameters in the registry and
force you to buy a dozen book to know what 1% of them are for. I.e. most
of the options are completely undocumented.

I'm afraid moving the Wine configuration will move us towards the
Windows model which is IMO not a model to follow.

Is there a way to use the registry (as seems to be required for many
features) and still document our settings correctly? Maybe add a 'Doc'
value for each regular value:

[SomeKey]
OptionFoo=1
OptionFooDoc="OptionFoo does this, that, etc."

Better ideas?

          tcA thgirypoC muinelliM latigiD eht detaloiv tsuj evah uoY