[winecfg 1.1] Implement saveConfigValue(), style changes, code cleanup, UI alignment

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Fri Aug 29 05:32:23 CDT 2003

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:49:51 +0200, Sir Francois Gouget scribed thus:
> The Unix way is to have text configuration files that are
> self-documented. Not all projects are born equal on this point of
> course, but look at squid.conf, smb.conf our even our own Wine
> configuration file for instance.

We can always put info on what the settings do in the users guide.
However, I think a lot of the more obscure options could simply be killed
off. For instance, what is DirectSoundHEL, and why do I need to set it
manually? Can that not be auto-detected, with sufficient cleverness? I'm a
developer, and I still don't understand what it does, or why it needs to
be set, Win32 is just too huge to understand all of it.

Very few prefs for Wine are actually genuine user preferences. They are
mostly settings that you need to tweak either for your environment, or to
make apps run correctly. Both of those settings should ultimately go.

thanks -mike