[resend] Allow use of MAP_TRYFIXED for better mmap()

Dustin Navea speeddymon at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 29 17:48:58 CDT 2003

--- Todd Vierling <tv at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>
> : > I have a feeling we're just on different mental wavelengths here.
> : > MAP_TRYFIXED is not an optional feature.  If the #define exists, the
> feature
> : > exists -- for the OS version used to compile, and all later versions.
> :
> : You are still thinking only about source distributions. The problem is
> : when you want to ship a binary: the only way to build a binary that
> : works for everybody is to build it on an old OS version;
>
> Yes, that's right.  This is not a problem, as 99% of Wine users on NetBSD
> are building from source.  The very small remainder of prebuilt-binary
> users
> can easily be told to ensure that the OS version is up-to-date (since there
> are security fixes that necessitate this anyway).
>
> : With a run-time check you don't have to sacrifice anything,
>
> You have to bend over backwards to do the runtime check, and you sacrifice
> *maintainability* with the extra normally-dead code added to Wine.  I don't
> see a need to jump through extra hoops in this case.

Shouldnt something like this added to the loader work for a runtime check?
(note im not using proper function names or anything, just an example)

if (running_on_netbsd && version >= first_version_that_supports_MAP_TRYFIXED)
    #define can_use_MAP_TRYFIXED

Im no expert on NetBSD but I would think a simple check like that would
suffice, and since it is in the loader, it would make it a runtime check, no?

=====
--
Dustin Navea

Minor Contributor, http://www.winehq.com
Bugzilla Janitor, http://bugs.winehq.com
Network Admin, irc://irc.blynk.net (down)