new old winetests

Ferenc Wagner wferi at afavant.elte.hu
Tue Dec 2 04:48:07 CST 2003

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> also wrote:

> "Doctor, it hurts when I do that..." :))) I'd say, don't
> do it.  Just use libc calls, don't link against msvcrt.

That's why.  To preserve our sanity.  Maybe it's not worth it.

>      Or we can change the test to:
> #if defined(__unix__) && !defined(__MSVCRT__)
>      which should work with all: gcc/winegcc/mingw/msvc

It may be the easier path.  But this strongly depends on
Alexandre's verdict.  See the discussion on the other branch
of this thread.

>   -- we use fatal() in remove_dir()
>      Again, not a problem, but I'm wondering if we're not too strict.

Sure, we are.  In the beginning, nothing useful happened
after remove_dir(), so I just didn't care.  Moving send_file
before this would be useful indeed.  Someone someday may
create a real UI for this and handle it properly.

>   -- running ELF tests
>      When we do so, we use a hardcoded path for wine

Oh yes, that's for me who does not have wine in the path.
We could just remove the path, I could add wine to my PATH,
and that's it.

>   -- we're linking against ws2_32
>      Is this DLL available on all versions of Windows we
>      want to run on?

As far I know
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/winsock/winsock/windows_sockets_start_page_2.asp>
yes.  But I am not sure whether it is installed in the base
system or only an option if you want to have networking
(like on Win3.1).  Probably not too many people would run
the tests on a standalone machine anyway, but who knows...

> I can't see any showstoppers

Good to you. :)  What do you think about Alexandre's cross-
configuring idea?

Feri.