Question about simple profiling implementation

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Tue Dec 2 12:21:53 CST 2003

Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

>On December 2, 2003 08:52 am, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
>

>>As you say, relay debugging adds a huge overhead... however, would you say
>>that this overhead would be fairly constant for each particular function?
>>

>And herein lies the problem: we're adding a _big_ constant overhead (O)
>to a variable cost (c).

When you are trying to profile an application, you don't really care how
much it takes to run. A profiling that makes the program run slower is
not really a problem. Profiling that changes the relative weights of the
program's parts are.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration & consulting

The opinions expressed in this mail are my own, and do not necessarily
represent the opinions of my employer.
Wait! I am self employed! Hmm...