Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Fri Dec 5 04:45:26 CST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 18:39, Robert Shearman wrote:
> > 1. C++ code must be accepted - This is not an area that C is good
> > enough, and in any way I don't know C I am only good in C++
>
> I'm afraid there is little chance of getting C++ code into Wine.

It might be worth revisiting this issue at some point. Microsoft
themselves use C++ heavily inside parts of Windows (like OLE). Wine
already includes many different languages (C, x86 assembly, bison/flex
grammars, perl, bash etc), adding another would not be a new thing.

We also have a problem in that in one day we'll want to do MSHTML and
every free HTML rendering engine of sufficient power is written in C++,
so C++ will be needed in order to interface with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the biggest fan of C++, but the iirc the
traditional reasons for not including C++ in Wine are:

* Support for it is bad in the free software toolchain (no longer an
issue)
* Not as many people know it as C (but even fewer know assembly and we
use that all over the place)
* Windows is written in C (it's also written in c++ though, esp the more
modern parts).

Have I missed any other problems with it?