regedit: consistent formatting

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Mon Dec 8 14:58:03 CST 2003

Lionel Ulmer wrote:

>>but this is still not feasible because a lot of people touch the code,
>>and even the same person touches it using different editors, from different
>>boxes, etc. How are you going to make sure everyone has their editors
>>setup just so (if at all possible!)? Face it, there's no way it can
>>work, especially in an internet-like setting where you simply can not
>>impose such strict environmental constraints on people.
>>

>Of course we can : we have a nice quality gate called 'Alexandre' which
>commits all the patches. So we just need to, either :
>
> 1) write a tool that checks the source code for correct tabbing and rejects
>    the patch if it does not follow THE RULES
>
> 2) or even better, write a re-tabulator which produce source code following
>    THE RULES (tool that would be applied to all source code on each
>    commit).
>
>So it's certainly possible to have it working :-)
>
>           Lionel

Not to mention that, a while back, I offered to write a small perl
script that will bring all sent patches into a consistent format. I
never even heard back from anyone what format this patch can expect to
receive and send the mail, nor what the system is running.

And that was a non-controversial change (well, Dimi objected, IIRC. Like
I said).

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration & consulting

The opinions expressed in this mail are my own, and do not necessarily
represent the opinions of my employer.
Wait! I am self employed! Hmm...