Using a windows dll from a winelib or possibly native linux app.

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Tue Dec 9 19:25:17 CST 2003

Arthur Bergman <abergman at fotango.com> writes:

> I have been trying to develop an application using a vendor provided
> dll from an external vendor to work under linux. If we develop the app
> on a windows box and move it over to the wine environment it works,
> but it would be preferable to have a more native approach. So I tried
> using winelib and have progressed to a point where I have an
> application that compiles using the vendor supplied header files under
> gcc, and a  vendor.dll.spec file that describes the DLL. However when
> I compile everything, the generated vendor.dll.so file does contain
> the correct symbols but they are undefined. Having played around using
> winemaker and winedump while trying to read up everything on winelib I
> am now stuck and not sure how to proceed forward.

You shouldn't compile to a .dll.so since you don't have the dll
code. What you should do is generate a libvendor.def from the spec
file (with winebuild --def) and then link your app as a winelib app,
adding -lvendor to the import list. winebuild will then resolve the
symbols properly to point to the native dll.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com