default config file creation

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Wed Dec 17 11:14:09 CST 2003

On December 17, 2003 07:57 am, Chris Morgan wrote:
> >I don't like the idea; I much prefer the idea of copying
> >them from somewhere
> >in /etc, as redhat does.  The default config file in /etc
> >can then be
> >modified so that it matches the distribution (redhat have
> >their cd at
> >/mnt/cdrom) and it can be modified by the sysadmin
>
> The less modification to the install process the better.
>  If there was a single location the files could be
> installed to that would work for all distros I think this
> is the route to head in.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone adhered to the FHS!!
Unfortunately they don't.  And then there is the whole issue
of relocatable rpms.

>                                   Otherwise I can't see why it is
> all that bad to stuff them into the binary to avoid the
> problem all together.

Wine is still developing.  Whether we like it or not the pattern of DLL
Overrides that works for one setup (e.g. set of programs) is not the
same as for another.  Therefore it makes sense to continue in the
historical unix/linux pattern of allowing the sysadmin to make changes
to file systems and text files in order to tune the environment.

For example.  A sysadmin is maintaining many linux computers handling
many users.  The sysadmin has to make changes to the default config
and c drive to support the programs that are run on this network.  When
adding a new user the sysadmin doesn't want to have to modify the new
user's config and c drive; they want to modify the copy that is used to
generate it.

--
Bill Medland
mailto:billmedland at mercuryspeed.com