Console problem

Peter Oberndorfer kumbayo84 at arcor.de
Mon Dec 22 13:11:28 CST 2003

Hello
I'm trying to get the freeware version of IDA (console) working, but if
i run it in wine it just hangs.
If i run it with winedbg it works fine.
I found out that the problem is that AllocConsole is never called for
the application if it is being run from wine.
But since IDA runs in the console subsystem it should get a console
according to MSDN.
MSDN says: The CONSOLE subsystem is for a Win32 character-mode
application. Console applications are given a console by the operating
system.

So here is the technical side of the problem:
AllocConsole should get called from
process_attach() ->dlls/kernel/kernel_main.c:180
So the external variable main_create_flags tells us if we need a console.
This variable is  set from  process_init() ->dlls/kernel/process.c:634
This function itself performs the server call init_process() which
returns 0 in create_flags from server/process.c:356
So the problem is that there is no startup_info -> server call returns 0 ->
no console for the first process.

Setting process->create_flags = CREATE_NEW_CONSOLE from init_process() call
fixes the problem
BUT with this winedbg starts up in a small ugly windows console that is
not resizeable :-/

Anyone knows how to fix this?

Greetings Peter