Console problem

Peter Oberndorfer kumbayo84 at arcor.de
Tue Dec 23 10:08:08 CST 2003

Michael Stefaniuc wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 08:11:28PM +0100, Peter Oberndorfer wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to get the freeware version of IDA (console) working, but if
>>

>you mean ida37fw? My experience is based on that one.

I tried freeware version 4.1
It was previously avaliable at
http://www.datarescue.be/downloadfreeware.htm but they stopped
distributing it.
It still can  easily be found on the web as idafree.zip

>>i run it in wine it just hangs.
>>If i run it with winedbg it works fine.
>>I found out that the problem is that AllocConsole is never called for
>>the application if it is being run from wine.
>>

>You can run it like this:
>wineconsole -- --backend=user IDA.EXE
>This will create the initial console too. If you want to change the
>settings of the wineconsole just right click on it.
>This will bring you IDA up and running (the time displayed in the upper
>right corner gets updated every second) but keyboard/mouse input does
>NOT work. This seems to be due to the emulated hardware interrupts not
>being dispatched. After some minutes i get
> err:int:TIMER_TimerProc DOS timer has been stuck for 60 seconds...
>The timer interrupt being int0 and having the highest priority it's
>blocking the processing of int1 (keyboard). From the trace i see that
>DOSVM_QueueEvent never signals the VM86 thread because there are always
>pending request with higher priority.
>As i didn't had too much time lately and my DOS skills aren't that good
>i didn't got to dig deeper into the problem.

Using wineconsole -- --backend=user idaw.exe works perfectly beside
special charachters used to draw frames appear as rectangles.
Thanks for this tip.
Maybe the problem you are experiencing only occours with the older
version of IDA.

>bye
>	michael

greetings Peter