Easy IE installer script

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Tue Dec 23 12:21:30 CST 2003

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd let the list know that I wrote an easy IE installer
program, for those times when only explorer will do.

On a Wine CVS build, no windows install, it installs pretty much
perfectly, and it does run (stability is so so :). It'll also put a nice
menu entry in your menus if your desktop uses the standard mechanism.

The installer program contains a few things that may or may not be
redistributable - for instance, it contains MSVCRT40.DLL and MFC40.DLL,
both of which are available for free from dll-files.com so it seemed to
make sense to include them.

It also includes the Tahoma font, which IE installs anyway, but I
install it first because current Wine seems to enjoy picking BitStream
Vera Mono which doesn't look too good and causes UI layout problems.

You can get it from here:

http://bylands.dur.ac.uk/~mh/install-ie6.run

Just download and run it, like so:

sh install-ie6.run

It contains a Linux Winelib DSO program (for figuring out your linux
windows drive path), so may or may not work on other platforms.

Do people think this should be linked to from WineHQ? It's a pretty
common question in #winehq.

enjoy,
thanks -mike