Easy IE installer script

Ivan Leo Murray-Smith puoti at inwind.it
Tue Dec 23 14:24:23 CST 2003

> Why do you say that?
Because of how copyright works, if a file isn't yours, you need a written
permission to prove that you have the right to use it/redistribute it, or the
copyright holder can claim that the use/redistribution of the file is unauthorized.
> I'd like to see the legal text that says they are
> not redistributable,
The microsoft windows (Favourite version of 32-bit windows here) license
>  as they are intended to be shipped alongside
> applications
IIRC you need a M$ development tool to obtain a license that allows you to do
that. Also, such license only allows use for applications designed for microsoft
windows. AFAIK wine is not a windows app.
> and can be freely downloaded from the net
M$ is free to sue anybody that violates it's copyright, and claiming that other
people have violated M$ copyright has never (And will never) save anybody in
court. They can choose to sue you and not dll-files.
> (ie the situation
> is no different to the current one).
It is, IE is not an app but a OS component, so there are a lot more restrictions
on IE than on anything else. A solution would be to ask the user to insert his
windows CD, and just get the files needed for IE installation from there.
> Maybe, but they'd have to sue me. Given that there are people running
> websites that ship practically every DLL on a windows system, that would
> not make much sense.
Those websites are online to help windows users, winehq is online to get windows
users to unix+wine
BTW they already CAN sue you.
> They'd also have a hard time arguing that the MSVC
> Runtime is not meant to be redistributed when many apps do so.
No, it would be very easy for them to prove that all vendors that ship MSVCRT
with there apps have a license from microsoft to do so.

Ivan.