default wine browser

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at lindows.com
Sat Dec 27 22:33:16 CST 2003

Hello,

I like the idea. Under LindowsOS, I hacked up the shlexec.c so that if
no browsers are installed under wine, it tries to run mozilla (for
linux). This is because the xten sipphone software attempts to open
web pages in a few circumstances, and we want that to work.

Ideally, we want the xten client to run under wine without any special
LindowsOS patches, because it will be much easier for us to keep the
version of wine in the CNR warehouse up-to-date if we can just use the
default debian package. My patch to shlexec.c is the only patch that
is likely to be rejected (it's totally the wrong way to do things, but
I only had an hour to make something work).

As for your specific implementation, it sounds resonable to me. The
behaviour I would expect is that mozilla for linux would be launched
if no browsers are installed under wine. But if you install a browser
under wine, then it would automatically be the default.

On the other hand, I might want to install ie under wine but still use
linux for mozilla by default. So maybe there could be a config file
option or something so that you can say 'prefer linux browser'. I
realize I could edit the registry and change the setting back to
mozilla, but:

 (a) it's way to geeky for most people

 (b) I would have to change the registry everytime ie reclaims
     control.

Jeremy Shaw.