Running a game that wants 32bit colour depth?

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Sun Dec 28 04:35:53 CST 2003

> This is probably and FAQ but.... I have a game here that bails on
> startup saying that I should change my colour depth to 32 bits. Problem
> is, X has no concept of this colour depth. How does that work?

Does it bail after some DDraw calls ? If it's DDraw, it's strange as we
should report both 24 and 32 BPP (after my complaining to Alex in his
resolution change patch).

Now if it does the check using standard Win32 API, I remember 'fixing'
something like that for a guy on IRC, but I cannot remember exactly where
(from what I remember, there is a BPP parameter stored somewhere in the
various sys-metrics or device caps do not remember which but a +relay trace
would help).

And, of course, Wine reports Depth whereas Windows expect BPP (and despite a
lot of tries, we never managed to really find a proper way to distinguish
24/24 modes from 24/32 modes using standard X calls).

If you find the place, I think putting 32 always when the depth of X is 24
would be good for 99.99 % of the people using Wine on current desktops.

              Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/