Found it!

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Sun Dec 28 08:46:26 CST 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 10:27, Robert van Herk wrote:
> Oops, didn't search thoroughly enough...

Oops, should read all mail before replying :)

> I found the winecfg program. It isn't finished though...
>
> Are you guys still working on it?

No, at the moment nobody is working on it.

> Did you also experience that it says "Unable to set configuration key"
> for anything you'd try to change?

Ah, well basically you need to change the header to point to a winecfg
specific registry branch. The way config in wine works is like this:

* config file is a registry file
* On wineserver startup (of course the wineserver manages registry
access) the config file is loaded as a special, read only, branch of the
registry.
* Parts of Wine read from the config file by using the registry APIs

However, the config file branch is still special and read only. When
winecfg is ready, we'll switch off config file loading (except for
special cases like migration of old settings) and the config branch will
become a normal read/write one, and then winecfg will work correctly.

For now, you just need to change where winecfg points in your local tree
so it can read/write (but it will think you have no pre-existing config
which is good for catching bugs too). The string you want is at the
bottom of winecfg.h, I change it to Software/Wine/WineCfg

> Didn't you finish it yet because you need some other library to be built
> first, or just because you didn't have the time yet?

I ran out of time/motivation. It takes quite a lot of work! I hope to go
back at some point but currently other stuff is higher on my todo list
(like getting systray integration merged).

thanks -mike