cabinet.Extract

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Sun Dec 28 23:28:44 CST 2003

On Sunday 28 December 2003 02:53 pm, Stefan Leichter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> during playing with ie5.5 installer i noticed that the installing of some
> cab files failed directly after the extract call. Doing exactly the same
> extract call with the same cabinet file and the same content of the first
> parameter i got a crash with native cabinet dll. The debugger shows at the
> end of the function a "ret 8" assembler comand.
> This means to remove 8 words (not bytes) from the stack because the segment
> attribute is set to 32 bit (the pop command right before the ret is done
> for a 32 bit register and does not have the opcode 0x66 in front to change
> the register length).
> Therefore the function extract must have 4 parameters instead of two.
>
> The bad thing is that the installer throws an exception instead of
> aborting.
>
> ChangeLog
> --------------
> 	the function ectract has four parameters not two

Hmm, sounds like you are more of a natural at deducing this stuff than I, so I
am happy to defer to your judgement... but I am slightly surprised, as I
vaguely recall convincing myself that I had verified that it was right.
Since ie5setup was probably my test app, maybe I added arguments until I
stopped seeing winedbg, and declared it to be a success :P ... or did someone
else do this part?  Can't remember.  No objection -- if its an improvement in
ie5setup, it's surely right.  Just thinking "aloud".  Thanks for debugging
this.

Out of curiosity, was it w98 or NT you were (not) emulating?

--
gmt

"It is to be the assent and ratification of the several States,
derived from the supreme authority in each State, the authority
of the people themselves.  The act, therefore, establishing the
Constitution, will not be a NATIONAL, but a FEDERAL act." --James
Madison, Federalist No. 39