How to remount CDROM during program execution?

Tony Lambregts tony_lambregts at telusplanet.net
Sun Feb 2 21:31:42 CST 2003

Roger Young wrote:

>I'm asking this question in the Development Forum, even though I'm not
>a programmer, because I haven't had any useful replies from other Wine
>forums.
>
>The problem occurs when performing a multidisk installation under Wine
>from the home directory:
>
>	winex /cdrom/setup.exe
>
>and the request "Insert CD#2" is made: how to respond to this? The
>drawer won't open, so from the console I can try and unmount the
>difficulty is that there are processes using the cdrom device, and
>these have to be neutralized before the cd can be ejected. There
>are about 6 processes being run by Wine. Unfortunately the install
>program is one of these and it dies as well...
>
>I have experienced this problem mainly with games, but it probably
>applies to multi-cd utilities as well... Specifically I have been
>unable to install:
>
>	Blade Runner
>	Indiana Jones & the Infernal Machine
>	Discworld Noir
>
>Could someone please explain what is going on?
>Why does it (cd changing) succeed under Windoze but not under Wine?
>Is there a fix (actual or planned) to this problem?

What version of Wine are you useing. Disk changing should not be a
problem under the latest releases of Wine. I regularly use Riven which
is a five disk set. In order to play the game I have to change disks
when I move from one island to the next. I do recall that about a year
ago that there was a problem in that Wine would not close off files so
that umount would not work.

Now,  even without automount this works. If you can mount the cdrom as a
user you should be able to umount it when the program requests.  WineX
is a different flavor of Wine,  So it may still have this problem. In
other words if you have this problem when useing Wine then you should
report it to http://bugs.winehw.org .  Since you have this problem under
WineX I guess you should be contacting Transgaming.

--

Tony Lambregts