Started playing with Wineserver on mingw/cygwin again

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Thu Feb 6 14:08:27 CST 2003

> Do we have a definitive explanation of just how bad the current
> wine/pthread incompatibilities are, and/or where current efforts are at?
> I'd not known there were any efforts to get wine working with nptl
> (hence my perhaps exaggerated alarm) until the link to Ingo's kernel
> patch was posted (aug2002 moreover) which suggests at least that some
> people *are* working on this (phew). I would be very grateful to know
> what the status is. Anyone? TIA.

among the things we have to take care of:
- signals: signal, in current implementation, is sent to a thread. in
nptl, it's sent to the process. So, lots of thread control has to be
rewritten
- in the same type of issues, getpid() now returns the same pid for all
threads in a same process. Most of Wine code relies on having a
different pid for each thread (this fix is needed, IIRC, for some
Solaris port)

from what I've seen, the LDT/GDT with nptl should be easier:
- for Win32 processes, as Ulrich already wrote, we could got rid of LDT
(and only rely on GDT) for %fs and TEB allocation
- for Win16 processes, we would still require LDT sharing across
pthreads, which I don't how it's handled right now

and it's likely there are quite a few other items I forgot

A+

--
Eric Pouech