X11 Clipboard implementation

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com
Wed Feb 12 11:00:32 CST 2003

> I think Mike's right in that CLIPBOARD only should be used unless the
> actual visual text-selection itself can be hooked to use PRIMARY (which
> it seems probably can't happen in the general case). However I agree
> with you that people will want this to work how *they* want it to work,
> and the "Right Way" purists can go take a running jump. Or to put it
> more constructively, I think this should be configurable, presumably in
> the config file. I think as with all such things, the user is always
> right.

Well, I'm not bothered enough to start a flamewar over this. Suffice to
say that the opposing view to that stance is that introducing "unbreak
me" prefs just clutters the UI and makes things more confusing and less
usable for the 95% of people who don't tweak the defaults.

> BTW: I can envisage one day there being built-in Wine configuration and
> support in KDE and other all-for-one,one-for-all window managers

Most likely 3 things will/should happen:

1) Windows installed control panels integrated with the users desktop
environment (ie quicktime control panel etc)

2) Wine control panel applets for configuring wine itself, I'd guess
written using Win32.

3) Possibly desktop environment specific wine configuration applets, ie
a kde-specific one, a gnome specific one and so on.

>  - this
> sort of behaviour is likely to become a tick-box in a KDE configuration
> applet at some point just like every other little GUI tweak has become.

Yup, which is why i use gnome2 now :/ The Klipper applet has a similar
"please break me" tickbox so users who got used to having clipboard and
primary mixed didn't have to adjust their habits when Qt3 came out. For
everybody else, it's just another setting to accidentally toggle then
wonder why their clipboard no longer works right, and to slow them down,
clutter the ui etc

> Which is cool of course, I would like to control behaviour of the win32
> support layer in the same place as I control behaviour of X11-native
> applications - so clipboard, mouse, keyboard (etc) should be as
> configurable as possible, not forced to be as "correct" as possible
> according to any one person's definition.

I think adding XSETTINGS support to wine would do this, but as xsettings
will probably be at some point replaced by a desktop neutral
configuration mechanism I doubt there's much point until the whole thing
has settled down.

--
Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com>
QinetiQ - Malvern Technology Center