gtk look progress and pthreads.

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Feb 23 09:57:10 CST 2003

James Gregory wrote:
>>You're linking against gtk, and that probably brings in
>>all sorts of code that can't safely be linked to in Wine.
>>You'd probably be much happier if you carefully linked in
>>the tiniest possible fragment of gtk needed to achieve
>>your theming goals.  (You might even be forced to duplicate
>>a gtk source file or two, which would be a shame, but would at
>>least give you the flexibility you need to avoid this kind
>>of problem.)
>

> ouch. My ultimate goal requires an enormous chunk of gtk code, I'd
> rather avoid doing this if at all possible.

Mike Hearn replied with some good suggestions.  I also encourage you to
discuss your goals here on wine-devel a bit more; it's not
really clear to me how gtk theming and wine theming should
interact.  Also, it's not clear to me that the bloat caused
by linking in gtk would be acceptable.

> What sort of things are likely to be broken in linking to gtk? Where do
> I want to look if I want to try to fix this?
>
> I suppose a good place to start is the source of that FIXME message.

It's probably the same issue Mono had: Wine doesn't use pthreads.
We need to fix this, but it's a pretty big job.

- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com