named pipe oddity

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Feb 23 18:38:36 CST 2003

Mike McCormack wrote:
> Well, I'm curious to know what happens when you: ...

> * DisconnectNamedPipe on a pipe that still has messages in it

Win2K pro: In byte oriented pipes, the bytes are lost, it appears.

> * try reading from a pipe that is not connected (before and after
> connecting)

Win2K pro:

Before connecting, you get the error
ERROR_PIPE_LISTENING.  This can only happen
on the server side before the client opens the pipe, I think.

After disconnecting, you get the error
ERROR_PIPE_NOT_CONNECTED on both client and server.

Wine is *not* doing well here.  It crashes on a couple of
these tests, and the unit test framework *doesn't notice*.
See http://www.kegel.com/pipe.c for my current test.

More to follow.
- Dan

--