POSIX / pthreads / wineserver - can I help?

Stefan Jones cretin at gentoo.org
Thu Feb 27 13:45:30 CST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 18:56, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> That's not really the right comparison, the wineserver is not an
> equivalent of the linuxthreads manager; it's more an equivalent of the
> Windows kernel.

But at least the majority of the thread related functions can be moved
to pthreads as per the old pthreads-wine patch. That should cut down on
the number of wineserver calls.

> You can't really do that; generic pthreads simply doesn't offer the
> functionality we need. It's possible to use the glibc nptl pthreads,
> but that's only because of the way they are implemented on top of
> kernel threads; this isn't a general property of pthreads, so a 100%
> POSIX threaded Wine is not possible.

I looked at some of the windows API and I saw the extra non-POSIX
functions, like
GetProcessHandleCount etc. which make wine's life difficult.

> Once I get the nptl support working there will probably be a number of
> things that can be done to take better advantage of the new threading
> support, and any help with that is welcome. But in all cases such code
> can only be added as an option, it can't replace the existing code
> since we have to run on older kernels as well as on other systems.

Well I was only suggesting replacing the custom thread syscall wrappers,
where possible, with pthread calls. Doing so will be compatible with
older systems, you just will not gain much performance.

Anyway, thanks for replying, I'll get on with seeing where wine stops
working on my system.

Stefan

--
Stefan Jones <cretin at gentoo.org>