Report after porting a windows app to WINE

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Fri Feb 28 16:16:32 CST 2003

> I thought I had reported bugs in my first breath.  Doesn't change my
> requirement to have my app run under 95, 98, Me, NT, 2K, XP and any
> reasonably recent release of Wine.  Each OS as had it's own share of
> workarounds required as is common for a really large app.  Anyway, I
> don't find it unreasonable to have to work around specific bugs in
> specific OS's.

Well yes, but Wine isn't meant to be a specific OS as such, it's meant
to emulate any version of Windows required. I mean you can work around
problems in Wine, but ideally we'd be altering our bugs to match those
in the real Windows, that makes peoples lives easier in future (users
and developers). Bear in mind that while you _have_ to work around bugs
in Windows because of the slow release cycle and closed source nature,
in Wine it's possible to fix the bugs directly, so you shouldn't treat
them the same way.

BTW to be most useful a bugreport would ideally be in bugzilla with the
relevant parts of the traces, although debugging such things yourself is
usually the best approach.

thanks -mike