Handle table? win2k internals doc?

David Welch welch at cwcom.net
Sun Jan 5 12:48:30 CST 2003

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 11:23:21PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> On the off chance that MSVC6's installer is cheating
> and reading the handle table entries directly by
> dereferencing file handles, I started wondering whether
> wine needed to make all its handles look a bit more like
> windows handles.
>
> What's the best source of info about how Windows formats
> its handles and arranges its handle table?
>
> "Inside Microsoft Windows 2000"
> by David A. Solomon and Mark Russinovich
> http://www.sysinternals.com/insidew2k.shtml
> seems like a good source of info.  Is it worth the $35
> for a budding wine hacker?

W2K/NT/XP and 9X are very different in how handle tables are structured -
for W2K: "Inside Microsoft Windows 2000" has 3 pages on the subject,
"Undocumented Windows 2000 Secrets" by S. Schreiber is more detailed including
some information like the object headers which aren't covered anywhere else.
It's worth noting that the handles for executive objects (files, threads,
events, etc) are in kernel-mode and shouldn't be accessible to user-mode
programs except through the native API or injecting a driver. There are
also user-mode handle systems for GDI/USER objects, consoles and the
various stdio implementations - I don't know of any published internals
information on these.