Handle table? win2k internals doc?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Jan 5 13:20:22 CST 2003

David Welch wrote:
>>On the off chance that MSVC6's installer is cheating
>>and reading the handle table entries directly by
>>dereferencing file handles, I started wondering whether
>>wine needed to make all its handles look a bit more like
>>windows handles.
>>
>>What's the best source of info about how Windows formats
>>its handles and arranges its handle table?
>>
>>"Inside Microsoft Windows 2000"
>>by David A. Solomon and Mark Russinovich
>>http://www.sysinternals.com/insidew2k.shtml
>>seems like a good source of info.  Is it worth the $35
>
> W2K/NT/XP and 9X are very different in how handle tables are structured -
> for W2K: "Inside Microsoft Windows 2000" has 3 pages on the subject,
> "Undocumented Windows 2000 Secrets" by S. Schreiber is more detailed including
> some information like the object headers which aren't covered anywhere else.

Thanks for the info.  Google says that book's home page is
http://www.orgon.com/w2k_internals/
Plus it can be had used for $10.

> It's worth noting that the handles for executive objects (files, threads,
> events, etc) are in kernel-mode and shouldn't be accessible to user-mode
> programs except through the native API or injecting a driver.

Right.  I'm only interested in doing the minimum it takes to
make the msvc6 installer happy.  I suppose I should learn how
to use the wine debugger's disassembler so I can see what
the installer is actually doing.  BTW it might only be
doing this trick on win9x, as it crashes differently on NT etc.

 > There are
> also user-mode handle systems for GDI/USER objects, consoles and the
> various stdio implementations - I don't know of any published internals
> information on these.

- Dan

--
Dan Kegel