Mac OS X/Darwin port of Wine

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com
Mon Jan 6 03:36:56 CST 2003

        Supposedly Mac OS X already has the largest installed base of
        any single *nix distribution and certainly is ahead of Linux on
        the desktop.  So there are easily as many potential users of
	Wine for Mac OS X as Wine for X86-whatever.  And Virtual PC has 	been
popular & successful.

Actually, according to figures from Apple and IDC (guess which is more
neutral) desktop Linux has at least double and possibly quadruple the
installed userbase of MacOS X. I have pointed this out several times
when people make statements such as that, and have yet to be refuted, so
be careful when saying things like MacOS is "certainly ahead of Linux",
as the statistics don't back that up. *shrug*

Bear in mind that to actually do a MacOS port would require rewriting
quite large parts of Wine even if you still use an X server, and then
Windows apps would still look like Windows apps, not Aqua apps. Please
don't get discouraged, but you should be aware of how much work it
involves before starting. As CPU emulation would be one
of the trickier parts, I'd definately go with the advice to start by
making x86 binaries work on Linux/PPC, as that keeps the number of
things that could interfere to a minimum.

ta -mike

--
Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com>
QinetiQ - Malvern Technology Center